Sunday, October 2, 2016

Grandma's Quilt and my Wall Hanging Oct. 2016


My grandma (Meta) Blackham was an avid quilter.  She always made blankets and quilts for family members.  Grandma created the most beautiful quilts and always sewed by hand.  She watched a lot of M*A*S*H and Murder She Wrote as she worked on the individual quilting blocks.  As a little girl, I would ask her to put her quilts on display in the Mormon Handi-craft windows.  But she said her quilts were not good enough and she would rather give them to family.
As I got older, my grandma taught me about sewing.  One day she showed me a pattern of a Sun Bonnet Sue.  I was intrigued and she encouraged me to make one.  So I started with the green Sun Bonnet Sue and then I got an idea to make one for each of the young women’s values to fulfill one of my YW requirements.  Twenty-four years ago there were only 7 values because virtue had not been added yet.

Seven years later, in 1999, my grandma surprised me with a beautiful Sun Bonnet Sue quilt for a wedding gift.  My grandma spent more time on this quilt than on any other.  It is an honor to have this quilt and I cherish it so much.  I lost my grandma in 2004, but a little piece of her still resides in my home with this beautiful quilt. 

No comments: