Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The photos I posted are of my markings for radiation. They are not permanent (thank goodness), but I am wondering if it is just me or does anyone feel like wearing a turtle neck? Yesterday was my appointment to make sure the markings were correctly positioned and the prep for radiation. I went home smelling like a huge band-aid because there are clear latex stickers over my markings to prevent them from washing away. I get a good laugh looking at myself in the mirror. Talk about your freak show, I have bluish-purple markings all over my top half along with two red scars (one from my lymphectomy and the other from my port) and then a nice bump protruding out of my skin (that is my port). Regardless of all this weirdness, I am truly thankful to be alive and in good spirits.

I had my first radiation appointment today and it was nothing like chemo. I will take radiation any day over chemo. It took about 20 minutes to position my body and 30 seconds to shoot me with radiation. I am not kidding about the 30 seconds. I counted--15 seconds from the front and 15 seconds from the back. During that time I tasted a burning flavor and noticed the mucous in my nose. It was really wacky. What is even wackier was the music playing on the radio while driving home. It was Doctor Doctor by the Thompson Twins. The line “doctor, doctor, can’t you see I’m burning burning,” made me laugh. I thought it was so appropriate. Only four more weeks and then I can close the chapter on this part of my life. I wonder if I will glow in the dark even more after my treatments. (only kidding)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

First, you look great! markings and all.
Second, I love when the radio provides an appropriate soundtrack!

reesespeanutbuttercups said...

You are truly an amazing person and an inspiration to all of us.

Marisa May said...

You always look beautiful Sasha. But at least the weather's cooperating with you desire to wear turtlenecks!

Unknown said...

Your marked for greatness Sasha! Okay bad joke but its great to look at the bright side and think at least you didn't get them tatooed on,eh?! You look fantastic and am so proud of you and your almost done kiddo not to much further!

NW Varneys said...

Sasha--you make me laugh. Thanks. And I was going to say that maybe the reason we are having such wacky weather is just so you can feel comfortable wearing a turtleneck. But if I were you...I wouldn't. I hate turtlenecks! Just show off your "tattoos" like a wild woman--be proud! ;)

kathie said...

sasha, this is kathie. i hope it's ok that i was linked to this site via natalie and kate. i'm so so sorry for what you have been through. we love you and will pray hard for you. your children are beautiful. give tim our love and hang in there. we miss you tons!

Kate said...

Hey Sasha, it's Kate. You are such a strong person, and so upbeat, but you have always been that way. I will pray for you. My blog is:

http://katesalittlesliceoflife.blogspot.com

I will check your progress everyday! I miss you and love you.

The Fisher Family said...

We sure love you and are proud of how well you're taking all of this. Keep your smile going. Loves to everyone.