Monday, February 1, 2016

Monday, February 1, 2016

                Parenting is hard but at the end of the day I am so glad to be a mom.  At the quiet moments in my life I reflect on raising good kids.  My children try very hard to do what is required of them.  McCabe and Jacinda have the most responsibility.  They have homework, chores, piano, and tae kwon do to fill their schedules.  They also have activities to fit in between those requirements such as activity days and cub scouts.  Most days they are very cooperative.  I use kindle time as leverage to make sure things get done.  It is great as they get older because they are so capable of doing a lot.  This past Saturday they helped clean the house.  All the bathrooms got done and I only had to clean one.
                I am pleased with Jacinda and how hard she is working at school.  Her spelling is coming along.  She is a whiz at math and she is the kindest most helpful student I have ever seen.  I have the opportunity to tutor some of her classmates and at the same time observe Jacinda.  It is a blessing to see how my child thrives in the classroom.
                McCabe is also doing well in his school work.  He is in SEM for math.  His teacher raves about how delightful McCabe is in class and how she wishes she had a whole classroom full of “McCabe students.”  I am glad my children are behaving well.  Tomorrow is McCabe’s 9th birthday.  I like who is becoming.  For his birthday he wants a game for his Nintendo 3DS so that is what he is going to get along with whatever else he receives from his party.
                Xadia and Teagan are still in the learning phases of doing chores.  This past Saturday, Xadia and I cleaned the basement bathroom.  It was so nice that she was so willing to help without complaining.  Xadia is at a cross road in her life.  She wants to be big like her older siblings and she also wants to constantly play like Teagan.  Xaida currently does tae kwon do.  She has asked me a few times to start piano.  That will happen later this year.  As a mom, I can only do so much.  I have realized that when the kids want to do something that means I will become part of it too whether it is teaching them or driving them to their activities so I need to make sure my schedule is open.  Xadia is working on her speech and her reading.  It is fun to do her homework packet with her each day.  She loves school and her teacher Mrs. Holbrook.
                Teagan is my bundle of energy.  Let’s face it; I cannot keep up with him.  I am glad he is pretty obedient except when it comes to treats, he loses all control.  Just this morning he was hiding a back of marshmallows and snacking on them when I was not looking.  I accidently caught him eating them when I walked into the room. Teagan is also becoming very self-sufficient.  He now entertains himself with his kindle or blocks.  Just the other day he was building windows and an elevator out of blocks.  I am still getting used to the fact that when it is quiet he is not getting into trouble he is just in his room playing.  I guess I am learning too.  It is so weird having to adjust as the kids grow into the next phases in life.

                My favorite part of being a parent is the end of the day when we have scripture study and prayer time.  We gather as a family and immediately after the prayer I give each child a kiss and a hug and tell them how much I love them.  Then if there is time I will read a book to them.  We are currently reading the Ever After School series.  When I am done reading it seems like all the kids need me at once.  They want me to lay down with them and visit.  So to be fair, I have assigned each child a night.  It was worked well and a lot of hurt feelings have been avoided.

No comments: